"To Everything There is A Season, and a Time for EVERY Purpose Under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1-3

August 24, 2010

My new season.....

I was diagnosed with Tarlov Cysts at the base of my spine a year ago. Tarlov Cysts are cysts filled with spinal fluid that spontaneously occur anywhere in the body. The cysts that I have are located in the sacral area of my spine. I have two cysts, one on each side of the spine, each one measures approx. 3cm. I also have several smaller cysts around the big cysts.

There are only five neurosurgeons in the U.S. that operate on this type of cysts.  The closest one to us is Dr. Frank Feigenbaum in Kansas City, MO. I have thoroughly researched Dr. Feigenbaum's credentials and spoken to several of his former patients. He has a very good reputation with his current and former patients and colleges. He called me him self the day he received my MRI films! I have been very impressed with his staff and feel that he is very capable of performing this surgery.



The surgery will be between two and three hours long. They will go in and remove a portion of the bone that is blocking access to the cysts. Then they will drain the cysts and cut the "feeder" from the spinal cord to the cysts. They will then wrap the sac of the cysts in pig pericardium (that is the tissue from the heart of a pig) so that the cysts cannot grow back. They will replace the bone with a substance that hardens to the consistency of bone so that I will not have any metal in me.

I will be in the hospital anywhere from two to four days. Then I will be discharged and my parents and I will stay at a hotel until my follow up appointment on Wed, Sept. 29th. We will fly home later that evening.

The recovery from this surgery is very slow. They said it could take up to a full year to get complete results. I will not be able to bend over, twist at the waste, pick up on anything over 8lbs, walk long distances, etc. For the first month I will have to lie in bed most of the time only getting up to move around a few times a day to prevent blood clots. Then I can resume activities as tolerated.

Your prayers are greatly appreciated for our travel safety as we are flying, for a successful surgery with minimal recovery and pain. Please pray for the Doctor and nurses that God would guide their hands during my surgery. Please pray for my parents as they are staying with me and for their peace about everything. Please pray for my sister, Grandmother, and other family members and friends that are here in Ponchatoula and cannot be with us. Most of all please pray that God would give me a peace about this surgery. I am really scared to have surgery on my back! I am praying for God's hands to touch me and give me HIS peace and comfort throughout this process.

I will update this blog as we get ready for this next season in my life. My parents will update this blog during my surgery and after wards while I am in the hospital.

1 comment:

Debbie in MS said...

Lisa,

I just found out about your surgery. This is my FB status from earlier today.

Psalm 112 tells of a righteous man... One who fears the Lord. Vs 12 "He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord." Father, help me to keep my eyes fixed on you no matter what bumps may be ahead in the road... to find confidence and strength in You.

I will be praying that you will keep your eyes steadfastly fixed on the Lord and that you will have no fear for the days ahead but that you would rest in the arms of your Heavenly Father.