"To Everything There is A Season, and a Time for EVERY Purpose Under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1-3

September 6, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons......Count them as BLESSINGS!!

I found this note on my Facebook profile from June of 2008. It reminded me that God is still working on and through me and that everything will be alright. And how far HE has brought me in just 2 years! He is still FAITHFUL!

As many of you know I have been struggling for quite some time now with health problems. I have been diagnosed with severe Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I am having trouble with my left knee (for those that remember my right knee being messed up, its the same problem).

I have lost my job in the midst of all this. I am currently on Medical Leave from work, but I am not guaranteed a job when I go back.

Anyway, I have been really down lately. I have been almost mad at God for allowing all of these things to happen to me. After all, I have done nothing to deserve all of this. I have been having trouble praying, and reading my Bible. I am currently not happy at the church I go to now. There is nothing for people in my age group to do. There are no Sunday School classes, bible study classes etc. I have been dealing with the guilt of wanting to change churches. There is nothing going on to challenge me spiritually. I haven't gone to church since Mother's Day. I am not proud of it, but I just really haven't had the desire or I have been sick.

I have been trying to pray about all of this, but considering the circumstances it is hard to. I have talked to my pastor and several of my friends and they have all told me the same thing. That I am being to hard on myself and that this is just a valley that I am going through and God will lift me up out of it in His time. I know all of this in my head, but it is really hard to believe it in your heart.

I emailed a former youth minister and explained to him what was going on and asked for his advice. When I got his email and read what he wrote, it all made since. I have been searching the Bible for scripture on all of this and have even been given scripture by friends, however this made it all clear!

James 1:2-6 " My brethren ,count it all joy when you fall into various trials,3: knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4: But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.5: If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6: But let him ask in faith, with no doubting for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind."

I have read this verse many times in my life, however it hit me; that what I am going through is just preparing me for the wonderful things that God has in store for me in the future, if I only ask in faith and with no doubt!

It's like the old hymn says "Great is thy Faithfulness oh God my Father. There is no shadow of turning with thee. Thou changest not thy compassion's they fail not as thou has been thou forever wilt be. Great is thy Faithfulness, morning by morning new mercies I see. All I have needed thy hands have provided. Great is thy Faithfulness, Lord unto me."

God never moves or changes, we do. He will provide all our needs if we only trust him with them. He will provide new and glorious opportunities each day for us, if we only trust Him.

Please be in prayer for me as I continue to climb out of the valley, slowly but shorely. I am uncertain if I will have to have surgery on my knee or not. I am looking for a job, so if anyone knows of anything please let me know.

Thank you all for being such wonderful friends! As I close,Ijust want to say; when God hands you lemons.......count them as blessings, because He is teaching you something in the process. Bigger and brighter days are ahead as we worship our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I cannot wait to see what blessings He has in store for me!

In Him,
Lisa

2 comments:

Cuz Ruth said...

King James Bible:2 Corinthians 12:9
"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." And keep in mind the waterfall of blessings you have in the friends and family as God smiles upon you!

Unknown said...

Lisa, PeachesMom, quoted the exact scripture I wanted to give you. Back when I first got diagnosed with MS,I was bed bound for quite awhile and in so much pain. Things where so dark for me and I wondered why God would allow what I was going through. I felt he had just left me to suffer. I had two little boys, Blake, just 13 and Zach, only 4. All I wanted was to be a great mom and be there for them, but all I could do was either lay in bed or sit in a recliner. Steve would work and come home and have to do it all, except the days we hired a housekeeper. We had just moved across the lake. We knew no one in Ponchatoula. I felt so alone. We met a Pastor from Jerusalem Baptist Church, He was at the hospital in New Orleans, visiting when I happened to be a patient in that hospital. I told him how I felt and he suggested that I start reading my bible. I thought, OK that was an very easy generic answer..I had heard it all before and what I need right then, was not to be sick! Anyway, I started reading my bible more and more. Then some verses such as, II Cor 12:9 seemed to comfort me and I would read them over and over, till I knew them by heart. That is when things started changing for me. Now, physically my health was the same but my spirit was beginning to see that God had not abandoned me but he wanted me to focus on his word and take the focus off of myself and the problems I was experiencing. It was a long road and physically,very painful. But now my days were full of hope and I knew God was there with me, holding on to my right hand. He had a reason for it all and even if I did not know why he was allowing this, I just need to focus on him , not my situation. Finally, I got better and we were able to start looking for a church to attend. We visited First Baptist Ponchatoula. The church was close and people were sweet and invited us back. Soon we joined the church. Every time I was down and having bad flairs with my MS, my Sunday school class was there with food. Had my disease changed? Was there still pain? No nothing had changed for me physically, MS was still there and giving me lots of pain, but now I chose to focus on what I did have, a new church home, lots of new friends. I know there seems not to be a class where you fit in or you seem not to get anything from...but maybe God is waiting on you to start that class. Maybe that is his plan. Pray about that. I know how it feels to just say, I will go to another church to find what I missing in my current one. I did it just that and it did not fill what I thought I was missing at FBC. FBC of Ponchatoula, was my home church. My boys and husband got saved and baptized at FBC. Steve and I renewed our marriage vows there. It was home and all the folks there was my church family. I missed them so much. I knew I needed to come back to FBC Ponchtoula and find my place there again and let God use me, however he chooses. My answer was not found at another church but it was to be found by focusing on God and working where I was first planted. I am praying God will show you the way and you will find what he has planned for you ...He is with you, right now, holding your right hand through this all. This is a verse,which is a great comfort to me and I leave it with you. Isaiah 41:13 "For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear: I will help you."
Just squeeze your right hand when you are unsure or afraid. He is right there holding on to you through it all.
With Love,
Mrs. Sharon